Classes and Results

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I saw post about classes and it got me to thinking.

Any of you that have went to these BBQ cooking classes.
1 - Do you think it helped your contest scores

2 - If yes for 1, then by how much?

3 - if you had your choice of any class to go to, which would it be?

Thanks for your input.

I saw post about classes and it got me to thinking.

Any of you that have went to these BBQ cooking classes.
1 - Do you think it helped your contest scores

2 - If yes for 1, then by how much?

3 - if you had your choice of any class to go to, which would it be?

Thanks for your input.
1- Yes

2- From middle of the pack toward the front

3- I smell smoke!!!

Classes are only as good as what you make them out to be. Having said that, if you try to do verbatim on what the teacher has done, you have a good shot of not having the same results. What things you take out of these classes and implement them into your own capabilities and knowledge, then you could come up with a winning combination.

There's, i bet, hundreds of teams over the past couple of years who have taken classes, but you don't see hundreds of new G.C.'s... but you do see a lot of these teams getting some good calls and overall improving. And I'd be willing to bet there's a few teams out there who thought they just wasted their money.

I've taken Rod and trigg's class in 2007. I got some new information, and broke out of my paradigms of thinking, and tweeked some things and came up with a winning combination that won me my first sanctioned G.C., then the jack. I took a couple of things from Rod, a couple from Johnny, stuck with a lot of what i had already, shigged some off of Randy, Darren, Scottie, Alex, Jumpin' Jim, shigged from the shigs, etc.. etc..etc... and in time, things kind of evolved to what they are now.. I think i have some really decent stuff now, just don't get the opprotunity as much to try it in contests.

I really wish I could take every great class that pops up. I smell smoke, Boys from Tornado alley, Mike Davis, slabs, all of them.. I want to learn what everyone is doing, their theories, and how they approach things.

I agree Podge. I enjoy going to these classes and/or cooking with different guys to see how everyone else is doing it. You can evolve that into your own style though.

For those that don't know....that process worked out pretty well for Podge:mrgreen: I'd take that as some quality advice.

Back