View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
ChiefBrock
Knows what a fatty is.

I bought a PR42 last month....I was going to get the SQ36 or another brand and settled on the PR42 after calling factory and talking with a few others.

I wanted something I could cook ribs, briskets, shoulders, buttes and even a full hog. I had been borrowing one every year from a friend...different maker and style....to cook a 50lb suckling for Christmas. Things I hated about it was it had no grease catcher so flare ups were a problem....and it was a pain to add wood during the cook without opening lid or removing pig. Started checking PR42 and everything I hated about the other one I loved about the PR series.

I have done ribs twice....two full size pork shoulders.....tenderloins....chicken wings...etc. Going to do a brisket next I think...but it gets a great smoke ring. it holds the heat very even once you figure it out like any grill. If you add a bbq guru then it would be idiot proof....but I want to get it down manually before I go all auto on it. LOL

Lots of room...one bag of Royal Oak last me about 6-8 hours in mild weather...5-6 hours in cold weater less than 45*F with wind. cooks indirect heat, smokes...just great all around and very versatile cooker.

I dont have a lot of experience but will answer any questions I can and tell you how it was for a beginner and my learning curve. Good luck.

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->