Moisture in UDS

dietmar239

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what's going on with one of my cookers. Love my can and does well for the most part but I'm having a hard time getting the rub to set on the proteins. I run temps probably around 300+. I have one intake chimney/valve and a small chimney on the lid that runs open all the way.

For instance with ribs. Doesn't matter if I hang them or leave them on the rack it takes FOREVER for the rub to set. What I've been doing is jacking up the heat and flipping them meat-side down to force the bark to cook on but it comes with a little char.

This is the case whether I spritz or not. I tend not to because of this. I don't see any moisture collecting in the bottom of the can. There's a little on the inside of the lid. I'm not sure why this is happening and would really appreciate some advice. I've asked some competitors even and they all tell me they love the can because of the good bark and skin it produces. Totally dig the flavor but the moisture is killing me.

My first inclination would be that your thermometer is off. How are you reading temperature?

I run a UDS and have never had an issue with bark setting. It seems like your temps are low and not getting enough airflow

I'm having a hard time getting the rub to set on the proteins. I run temps probably around 300+. I have one intake chimney/valve and a small chimney on the lid that runs open all the way.
For instance with ribs. Doesn't matter if I hang them or leave them on the rack it takes FOREVER for the rub to set. What I've been doing is jacking up the heat and flipping them meat-side down to force the bark to cook on but it comes with a little char. This is the case whether I spritz or not. I tend not to because of this. I don't see any moisture collecting in the bottom of the can. There's a little on the inside of the lid. I'm not sure why this is happening and would really appreciate some advice. I've asked some competitors even and they all tell me they love the can because of the good bark and skin it produces. Totally dig the flavor but the moisture is killing me.
Probably 300*?
With only one intake and one exhaust. You did not mention the size of your intake or exhaust. I'm guessing your are not steadily cooking at 300*. More like 225-250*. Sounds like you are opening the lid to raise the temp. Then choking the cooker back down by replacing the lid.
You can get a char doing just that. Why are you expecting moisture on the bottom of the drum?
Photo's would help also. More detail would help to pinpoint your problem.

My first inclination would be that your thermometer is off. How are you reading temperature?

I run a UDS and have never had an issue with bark setting. It seems like your temps are low and not getting enough airflow

I have a Therma Pro that I measure grate temp with. I've tested it and it's accurate.

Probably 300*?
With only one intake and one exhaust. You did not mention the size of your intake or exhaust. I'm guessing your are not steadily cooking at 300*. More like 225-250*. Sounds like you are opening the lid to raise the temp. Then choking the cooker back down by replacing the lid.
You can get a char doing just that. Why are you expecting moisture on the bottom of the drum?
Photo's would help also. More detail would help to pinpoint your problem.

She get's pretty hot with the one intake. Hoping the picture helps. Sorry if it flips. I mentioned moisture on the bottom of the drum because I've searched and seen where others on this board have noticed that. I have not.

Attachments

• can.jpg
    can.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 96
What type of diffuser, if any, are you using?

I was using a diffuser that was very close to the fire that vaporized any drippings. It was my experience that the bark did not set very well. I thought it was due to the drippings adding excessive moisture to the barrel.

I went back to a diffuser that was located a little further from the fire. Drippings collected on the diffuser instead of instantly vaporizing. I feel like the bark is better.

Just my observation and understand that others may have differing experiences.

What type of diffuser, if any, are you using?

I was using a diffuser that was very close to the fire that vaporized any drippings. It was my experience that the bark did not set very well. I thought it was due to the drippings adding excessive moisture to the barrel.

I went back to a diffuser that was located a little further from the fire. Drippings collected on the diffuser instead of instantly vaporizing. I feel like the bark is better.

Just my observation and understand that others may have differing experiences.

Interesting. I haven't even been using a diffuser. Definitely something to consider.

1.5-2" intake and exhaust will get you to 300*.
Question, when are you adding your meat. After reaching 300*, before?
How large/dia is your coal basket?
I never get moisture in the bottom of my drum/drums.
Grease after cooking fatty meats like bacon. YES, but it is grease that I use the ash to soak up. Never moisture.
If you are spritzing, don't.
How much and what type or rub are you using?
How often are you checking/removing the lid?
Are you cooking meat that was brined?
Are you using a drip pan?
Have you ever checked to make sure your intake is not clogged with ash. From when moving? That tall pipe is a restrictor. Even worse when having alot of ash build up.
Just trying to figure this out.

1.5-2" intake and exhaust will get you to 300*.
Question, when are you adding your meat. After reaching 300*, before?
How large/dia is your coal basket?
I never get moisture in the bottom of my drum/drums.
Grease after cooking fatty meats like bacon. YES, but it is grease that I use the ash to soak up. Never moisture.
If you are spritzing, don't.
How much and what type or rub are you using?
How often are you checking/removing the lid?
Are you cooking meat that was brined?
Are you using a drip pan?
Just trying to figure this out.

I tend to add meat before it reaches 300 and then dial it in, typically around 250.
Charcoal basket is about 13 inches high. Not sure the diameter (not at home right now). I hate how tall it is because it's a nightmare when trying to hang.
I don't get moisture in the bottom either but I checked in case.
I stopped spritzing.
I use all kinds of rubs with sugar, without..you name it. I usually apply medium to heavy.
Yes, usually prebrined supermarket meats.
No drip pan

Thanks for your help

I'm guessing if your basket is 13" high (probably 12"). Your dia is a 13" weber grate.
I'd suggest for more even cooking edge to edge/all around. And more height to hang. Make a weber 17" coal grate basket with 6" high sides. 3" high legs/bolts. If I remember right you can cut your expanded metal sides in half and have enough for the 17" grate. Mine will run 17+ hrs at 300*. So you should never run out and need to reload.
Adding your meat before you get tbs (thin blue smoke, or less). You can be having your coals get to wet before they can really get going causing a much longer time to come to temp and adding the cook time. If that makes sense. Alot of time.
Pre-brined meats have alot more water to cook out. Again more cook time.

Back