Tender Chops?

rdberry76

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Looking for some tips to get the best chops ever! You guys got suggestions on how to get those super tender and tasty grilled/smoked chops. Looking at doing boneless for sandwiches

well, a good brine or marinade is a sure way to success. Thick chops are, of course, the way to go. the thin one's are for pan frying.

I haven't tried this yet. I was looking for the cut of meat that is used in a grill pork served at German fests called a Schwenksteak or Schwenkbraten. Someone here suggested getting a pork butt and slicing it. I would think you would want to cut it across any major grain. Drizzle it with oil, season it with dry rub and add sliced onions and maybe peppers. Let it sit overnight and then grill it hot and fast. Keep it moving and pull it when IT hits 140-145*.

A quick Google search found this:

http://germanfood.about.com/od/meatbasedrecipesandmenu/r/schwenkbraten-grill-recipe.htm

If I hadn't been eating pork all week, I know what I'd be making this weekend...

Well--get Chops cut 2" a Thick, Marinade for 24 hrs in Stubbs Pork Marinade , slit n stuff w onions and then grill over Charcoal n Hickory .....Mmmmmmm

Last edited:
I only cook chops that are at least 1 1/2 inches thick. They come out much better.

Two different ways...

1. If the chops are not enhanced, brine for an hour per pound, rinse and dry and let sit in the fridge for about an hour per pound to equalize. Rub with your favorite pork rub and put them in the smoke until they hit about 120 internal. Then put them on a hot grill and sear until the IT is 140. Rest and eat.

2. This is from The Embers restaurant that used to be in Mt. Pleasant, MI (sadly, the closed). The recipe calls for oven cooking but you could cook them in a smoker or grill at 375 and they come out great!

The Embers Pork Chop

4 - 1 pound Pork chop(s)

MARINADE
1 cup Soy sauce, dark
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1 tablespoon Molasses, dark
1 teaspoon Salt

SAUCE
1 cup Ketchup
1 cup Chili sauce
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon Dry mustard
1/8 cup Water

There is a wonderful restaurant named The Embers in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, where chef Clarence Tuma prepares his famous One Pound Pork Chop. He has won numerous awards for it and has featured it on numerous national television shows. It takes a full 24 hours to prepare, and is well worth the trouble (oddly enough, it really doesn't take that much effort). He freely gives the recipe away, and invites everyone to drop by and discuss how theirs turned out at home.

To get the pork chops, ask the butcher at your local supermarket to cut four one pound, center cut pork chops.

Start by preparing the marinating sauce using the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, molasses and salt. Mix them together and bring to a boil, then let it cool.

In a large sealable plastic bag, pour the marinating sauce over the pork chops, put them in the refrigerator and let them stand overnight.

When you get ready to cook the next day, take the pork chops out of the marinating sauce, place in a baking pan and cover tightly with foil. Put in 375 degree oven and bake until tender (about 2 hours). Discard the marinating sauce.

While they are baking, prepare the red sauce. Mix the dry mustard, brown sugar and water together leaving no lumps. Add the ketchup and chili sauce, then bring the mixture to a slight boil.

After the chops are tender, remove them from the oven and dip each in the red sauce.
Take the chops after dipping and place them back in the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until slightly glazed. Save the unused red sauce for the table.

For extra flavor, keep the chops at room temperature until you are ready to put them on a charcoal pit or grill. Have the grill as high as possible from the coals; not a large bed of coals is needed. Place the finished chops on the grill and let them cook slowly... a little blackening does not hurt the chops. Grilling should not take more than 15 minutes.

Get a Pork loin and cut your own. Marinate in Allegro Original overnight. Cook indirect with the wood of choice until 120 deg reverse sere temp will go up to 130 -135 let carryover take it home.

I tried using pork loin in the past and it is way too lean for a sandwich. Maybe I did it wrong...

I give chops a quick cure. Sprinkle them with Tender Quick and let them sit in the fridge for one hour...then rinse before smoking or grilling.
They come out really moist.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170374

this one was stuffed with jalapeno cornbread then smoked in the drum.

5a96cee2-a10f-428e-bb6c-434daf514f3c_zps2ce42453.jpg

Just one more option!

For the thick chops, I like to indirect cook them until 140 then sear both sides and cook to 150 indirect. Anything above 150 and they dry out I've found.

I like loin chops that I cut myself from a boneless loin. Anywhere from 1.5 to 2 inches thick. Cook them to no more than 145 internal (watch for carryover). Perfect every time, nice and tender.

For fattier, tougher pieces, I tend to call those "pork steaks" and cook them until they are tender like cooking a butt, really.

I give chops a quick cure. Sprinkle them with Tender Quick and let them sit in the fridge for one hour...then rinse before smoking or grilling.

Just one more option!

I was just gonna suggest cowgirl's. I'm trying this today myself. EDIT: and I just did:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185488

Last edited:
For killer sandwiches I use tenderloin. I rub it with foil hat and either reverse sear it or grill it direct to 140*. Let it rest, slice it into 1/4 slices. Pile them on a nice soft roll with American and some bbq sauce. People go nuts and it couldn't be easier.

Looking for some tips to get the best chops ever! You guys got suggestions on how to get those super tender and tasty grilled/smoked chops. Looking at doing boneless for sandwiches

I think some people are missing this last line...

Just one more option!

Cowgirl do you measure the tq or just give them a light dusting with out measuring the tq?

A few tips:

- Whole cuts of pork are safely cooked at 145F internal, that's medium rare. The old 160F practically guarantees dry pork. I shoot for around 150F-155F to get meat that isn't pink but hasn't dried out. http://www.porkbeinspired.com/pork_promotemperaturechangeannouncement.aspx

- The bigger the hunk of meat, the easier it is to cook well without drying out.

- The lower the cooking temperature, the easier it is to cook well without drying out.

For fantastic sandwiches, consider cooking a whole pork tenderloin around 275F until it hits around 150F in the center. Tent it and let it rest for a little while, then slice fairly thin against the grain. If you want bigger slices so it's more like a pork chop on a bun, get a half loin or whole loin, cut so it will fit on your smoker, and again cook around 275F until it's around 150F in the center.

Try either one and you'll slap your daddy for not teaching you sooner. :)

Get a Pork loin and cut your own. Marinate in Allegro Original overnight. Cook indirect with the wood of choice until 120 deg reverse sere temp will go up to 130 -135 let carryover take it home.

I tried using pork loin in the past and it is way too lean for a sandwich. Maybe I did it wrong...

I'm guessing by "way too lean" for a sandwich, you meant that it was dry. If that's the case, then yeah, you might have done it wrong.

Rub a pork loin with some olive oil then sprinkle some salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder on it. Smoke it at 225ish with some Apple wood and pull it from the smoker when it hits 140ish. Wrap it an let it rest. Carry over cooking will take it past 145.

Chill then slice. You can slice it very thin "deli style", or up to about 1/4 for a nice little sandwich.

Schwenbraten is pork butt, sliced thin and marinated for at least 24 hours. The acidity breaks down some of the tissue. But, the key is that it is boned, sliced deli thin and marinated, then seared over and open flame. Anytime you cut thin slices across the grain, you will get tooth tender meat.

Back