A welding shop or a metal fabricating place should have some "drops", or cut-offs you can use. Just picked up a 26X31" piece of the heavy expando and a 26X31" piece of 14 gauge steel for $30 at a welding shop. Cheaper than the BigBox stores and cut to size to boot!

I cooked some baby backs yesterday and tried Blues Hog sauce for glaze. This is the first time I tried the sauce. Everyone liked them but, I have to admit, I am not a big fan of sweet sauces. If you like sweet BBQ sauces, you will like Blues Hog. I found that I prefer the Tennessee Red Blues Hog over the original. But, they sure did look good after I put the BH on them and let them cook for about another 30 minutes.

picture.php
Wow! Would you like some coffee with your sugar?

Based on their FAQ, I think you'll be just fine. It's good for a continuous 500 degrees. Also interesting is that you can thin it down with acetone or lacquer thinner to get it to flow more easily, and it's microwave safe. ;-)

http://www.jbweld.net/faq.php

-Rodney

I have been using JB Weld in my Bradley Electric Smoker for over a year. Called and talked with them and they said fine!

armor,

Lol, they weren't as sweet as they looked. The glaze was made with BH, some butter, and some spice which makes it look really thick. It was just really shiny.

First fitting of my weber top. The top two inches of the weber base are bolted inside the drum top. The weber top does not touch the drum it's self!

IMG_0515.jpg

Nice build you got going there! How snug does the lower portion fit into the drum? I know putting the 2" section of the lower weber kettle makes for a nice sealing surface... and the lid can still be used on another weber if need be.

I will do the same on my next one! you can't just have one UDS you know.....

Prototype Intake

Just tried out a new version of intake for the UDS. I had made a similiar intake to the BGE and it was working well. I mentioned it on another site and they said it wasn't "proven" and would be "way to hard to control with that big a hole" . I don't know about the proven and maybe I should see if BGE has a proven stamp but decided I didn't need to be proven since it had been working good with almost 200lbs of lump gone through it. The control thing wasn't a question in my mind but since I had a 28mm die in the press I thought I would punch three smaller holes and see if it made a difference.
The only difference is - its harder to empty the ash out the holes. Control is no different, a little slower getting up to pizza temp but really no difference.
I always get questions on these :razz: so here are some answers- Yes this is better than nipples and taps because its easier to control, you can reach in and give your basket a shake if you ever get an ash buildup and with the BGE style you can empty your ashes so you don't need an ash pan either, you don't trip over this, you don't need to weld or keep tightening this. And No the fire doesn't burn down the side closest to the intake.
Here's some pictures for anyone who wants to try it.
smokin007-1.jpg

smokin008.jpg

Last edited:
First fitting of my weber top. The top two inches of the weber base are bolted inside the drum top. The weber top does not touch the drum it's self!

IMG_0515.jpg

I found that in using a closed drum and cutting it open the 22.5 lids fit snugly with a minimum of modification...maybe I got lucky!! :confused:

Doc- I use threaded automotive tire valve stems. Remove the core and the turkey therm. slides right thru. They bolt right on thru an appropriate hole. Others have found stuff in the plumbing isle and then you can always make your own as woodbutcher suggested.

I got my first one at Goodes on Katy hwy and have since been buying them off ebay. just bought a Bulldog opener for my sons barrel

Just scored another drum for UDS part deux.

From consolidated container in minneapolis 55 gallon reconditioned open head drum with lid 2" bung.

When I got there I asked him if he could grab one of the ones that hadn't been painted yet. So I got one straight out of the reconditioning process before painted for $26.50. Nice.

drill some holes and season and I will be set.

wish I would have seen this earlier.....been having trouble finding a good used drum down in Rochester, MN. I did call Midway in St. Paul.....and they had a 3 drum minimum purchase....why, I have no idea......I gave up at that point on a new one. Darn. I did get a used drum from St. Cloud....$28 delivered.....but have now spent another few hours and $5.00 washing it out and sanding it, and burning it, etc.

Maybe I can sell that one and get a nice clean one before I start drilling, etc. :roll:

Just scored another drum for UDS part deux.

From consolidated container in minneapolis 55 gallon reconditioned open head drum with lid 2" bung.

When I got there I asked him if he could grab one of the ones that hadn't been painted yet. So I got one straight out of the reconditioning process before painted for $26.50. Nice.

drill some holes and season and I will be set.

Back