CAB Packers

spoon

Knows what a fatty is.
I've always cooked Excel packer briskets which I think are Select grade. I've seen the CAB designation with other cuts of meat at our local Tom Thumbs recently, and I researched the board to find that CAB is supposed to be a high grade of Choice -- so I started to keep an eye out for CAB briskets. About two weeks ago while at Tom Thumb, they had 'em for $1.79/lb, but I didn't get any cuz I wasn't planning to Q for a while, and the guy told me they have 'em pretty regular.

I was at a different Tom Thumb today, and asked about CAB packer briskets. The guy said they didn't have any and didn't get them very regular (conflicting what the earlier guy told me). I asked him if I could order, and he said only trimmed CAB flats for high dollar -- packer briskets couldn't be ordered cuz he didn't have an order code (sound like b.s. to me). In summary, he said CAB packer briskets were just very hit-and-miss.

I'll be going back to the first Tom Thumb to see if I can get what I want. Has anybody been able to specifically ask for CAB packer briskets? Tom Thumb here in DFW area seems to be a big CAB distributor, so I'm hoping I can get some CAB packers. I'm kicking myself for not buying some earlier.

spoon said:
I've always cooked Excel packer briskets which I think are Select grade. I've seen the CAB designation with other cuts of meat at our local Tom Thumbs recently, and I researched the board to find that CAB is supposed to be a high grade of Choice -- so I started to keep an eye out for CAB briskets. About two weeks ago while at Tom Thumb, they had 'em for $1.79/lb, but I didn't get any cuz I wasn't planning to Q for a while, and the guy told me they have 'em pretty regular.

I was at a different Tom Thumb today, and asked about CAB packer briskets. The guy said they didn't have any and didn't get them very regular (conflicting what the earlier guy told me). I asked him if I could order, and he said only trimmed CAB flats for high dollar -- packer briskets couldn't be ordered cuz he didn't have an order code (sound like b.s. to me). In summary, he said CAB packer briskets were just very hit-and-miss.

I'll be going back to the first Tom Thumb to see if I can get what I want. Has anybody been able to specifically ask for CAB packer briskets? Tom Thumb here in DFW area seems to be a big CAB distributor, so I'm hoping I can get some CAB packers. I'm kicking myself for not buying some earlier.

If you can't find a Tom Thumb to do it for you, try Albertson's. The location in Colleyville ordered one for me. It was good but not exceptional. The price was a little higher, but not insane.

Spoon,
There is at least one CAB distributer in Dallas, probably more.
-----------------------------------
Freedman Meats, Inc. - Dallas
4216 Mint Way
Dallas, TX 75237-1608

CAB Contact:
Jay Riscky
214-331-8711 ext. 240 - office
214/331-8355 - fax
------------------------------
Take a look at the CAB distributer list here:
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/cgi-bin/dist.cgi

We have bought CAB brisket from the Distributers in Orlando and Panama City with no problem at all. May have to order in advance to get the specific preparation you want.

Hope this helps.

TIM

The Restaurant Depot (national restaurant supply wholesale place) sells the CAB packers for $1.60 +/- per pound.

Dakaty said:
The Restaurant Depot (national restaurant supply wholesale place) sells the CAB packers for $1.60 +/- per pound.

They sell to the general public? I thought you need a tax ID or something.

Grumpy's Q said:
They sell to the general public? I thought you need a tax ID or something.

Food service license (at least here they do. refused to sell me a cart load of stuff, so I walked out. Let them restock it. Farkers)

There's a local place that sells high quality all natural beef... packers are $5.45/lb, though... I can get American Kobe (Wagyu) for $3.95/lb plus shipping... how much are y'all paying for CAB's (other than wholesale)? Would have a barbecue related LLC allow one to join the Restaurant Depot?

I joined as a "BBQ caterer". They do require a TIN which could be your SSN. (I own a non food related business so I have an actual business Tax ID number.)

Back