First Butts...Needing reasurance.

BamaRambler

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This will be my first ever try at smoking butts. I have cooked several chickens and some Fatties and all have turned out great.

I am cooking "two" 10 pounders this coming weekend in my UDS.
I have confidence in smoking these butts, i just would like a little reasurance please.

These are my plans:
Lightly inject with apple juice,
Rub with Pilleteri's Rub (A Local Butcher's homemade),
refridge overnight,
Fire up the UDS temp to 220-250 (Smoke at 1 hour per pound?),
Foil after 5 hours then cook for approx 4 more or till the bone can be easily pulled.
Wrap in towel...place in cooler...resting for an hour.
Remove from cooler and pull the meat,
Serve with favorite BBQ sauce and ENJOY.

Your recomendations are welcome and appreciated.
My UDS.jpg

those are some big butts.
You're gonna hear everything here, which is a good thing.
Id reccomend low, like 250, no peeking. Im sure some of the drumheads will chime in and let you know as to whether or not to flip.
Butts are pretty forgiving, get the drum hot...prob like 300, close the bottom air vents for prob 10 minutes or so, open her up, get the meat on there quickly and close her back up, open the vents and it should rebound pretty quickly.

Yep,

get heat to 225*F, prep., put in the drum, time@1.5hrsand leave it there.NO peeking til time is up,THEN open and try to pull bone. If not loose, close it up and go an hour more. When bone pulls , it's done. It will be juicy too.You held all the moisture and pressure in the UDS if you left it closed!
Enjoy,and

agree with ^^^^. when i open i spritz with apple juice for funsies

Not a drum owner here but......at 250 degrees cooking temp, I always figure 1.5 hours per pound on butts.
I foil at 160-170 degrees and I add a shot glass worth of sweet apple juice to the butts im cooking.

Not sure on the water pan question.

Good luck.

Not too sure about the injection, never tried it on a butt. I use a offset smoker, so not the same as a drum, but I never foil a butt and they're always nice and juicy. Also, not too sure about timing the cook time, just go by the internal temp... take 'em to 195 or so and the bones should slide out nice and easy...

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

Mix one part soy and 2 parts apple juice and inject the heck out of it. I promise you will not mess it up and will be good if your using pecan and cherry to smoke it.

You'll do fine. I never foil butts. Besides that, it looks like you have everything figured out. Don't count on the time working out. It usually doesn't. Sometimes I flip, sometimes I don't but usually, I flip at least once during the cook, at the third hour, then flip back after 2 hours.

If that's a long thermometer, 225* - 250* should work out fine. If it's a stubby thermometer, 200* - 225* should be the target pit temp.

One other thing, I wouldn't apply rub until just before going in the drum, I would make sure there is VERY little to no salt in the rub as well.

I never flip, mop or inject.

Rub your butt well.
Put your butt in the drum.
Temp between 225 and 250. Where exactly doesn't matter.
Have a drink.
Take a nap.
Have another drink.
Make sure temp is in range.
At the 7-8 hour mark, check the temp of your butt. Is it 195 or higher? No? Close the lid and take another cat nap for an hour or so. Repeat.
When the temp is over 195, your probe should slide in with no resistance in the thickest part of the butt. If it doesn't, keep cooking.
When the probe slides in easy, take the butt out of the smoker. It should be already falling apart.
Let it rest for 30minutes to an hour.
Hit it a few times with the bottom edge of a strong spatula or your tongs. Should just fall apart.
Sprinkle your shredded meat with your rub, some apple cider vinegar and your favorite sauce.
Mix well.
Eat.

Since you are doing 2 butts you could try 2 different methods and see which you like best.
Foil one, dont foil the other.
Inject one, dont inject the other.
Use different rubs....
lots of ways to cook a butt...none are wrong.
jonboy

Mista, looks like you're not a flipper. So do you do fat up or down?

I dont believe you will be eating in 9 hours after putting them on. 14 hours, probably. Have fun and enjoy.

One of the smallest I've ever done was also the longest so you don't ever know. Size is not a good indicator. On one six butt UDS cook, I had 8 and 9 pound butts come off hours before a 6 pound boneless.

I never flip, mop or inject.

Rub your butt well.
Put your butt in the drum.
Temp between 225 and 250. Where exactly doesn't matter.
Have a drink.
Take a nap.
Have another drink.
Make sure temp is in range.
At the 7-8 hour mark, check the temp of your butt. Is it 195 or higher? No? Close the lid and take another cat nap for an hour or so. Repeat.
When the temp is over 195, your probe should slide in with no resistance in the thickest part of the butt. If it doesn't, keep cooking.
When the probe slides in easy, take the butt out of the smoker. It should be already falling apart.
Let it rest for 30minutes to an hour.
Hit it a few times with the bottom edge of a strong spatula or your tongs. Should just fall apart.
Sprinkle your shredded meat with your rub, some apple cider vinegar and your favorite sauce.
Mix well.
Eat.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^ I don;t foil, inject or mop either.

and it is done when it is done...time is not a good indicator on butts. 195+ internal is the proper indicator.

it can take anywhere from 8-16 hours depending on your cooker, your butts, and the alignment of the constellations...

Just a suggestion!!!!!!!!!!

Put the Butt in @ 225*F , shut the lid, wait for 1.5hrs./lb., THEN, open the lid. NO spritz , no peeky , no nuttin' till time is up!!!
It will not be dry. And if it somehow did get a little dry(which it WON"T),put your finishing sauce on it, no-one will know the difference. BUT. it won't be dry.Check your thermometers first. Then if it is dry,YOU DID SOMETHING!
You peeked, or opened to spritz, or some dumbass opened it, something. But , it won't be dry if you do it this way!!!
But it's your 'QUE', I'm olny suggesting!!!

Thanks all. Yep, i'm not really counting on the 1 hour per pound working out correctly. I will just pay attention to the internal temps and ease of the bone removal.
These are for church youth dinner so i need these to be finished cooking and ready to eat by 6pm. I plan on putting these in the UDS saturday at midnight. Say they are done at 2pm. What would ya'll recomend keeping the meat warm without drying out before time to eat. During the smoke I will decide wether to foil or not. I just don't want it to come out black. It will be tough but i will try really hard not to peek inside. Do i start with the fat cap up?

I never flip, always fat side up.
When you take them off to rest, you can put them in a turkey oven/baking bag or even a small trash bag and tie them up tight to keep all that juicy goodness in.

Start early, keep it simple, "cooler" and hold, pull right before serving.
Coolering in case you don't know is put in a preheated cooler and covered or wrapped with a towel. Leave closed until ready to prep for serving.

Back