View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
elmatth, looks like a great job on the drum. Just wait until you and your guests tase the great Q you will turn out. Check the temps at the grate and compare to the side therm you took a picture of. When my barrels are at 200 on the side therm, the grate temp will be at 230. That seems to hold true with about all drums. Whole birds will be about 3 hours, wrapped thighs a little less. And the wonderful fatties total of three hours as well. On the fatties, I smoke for two hours, wrap and back in smoker for 45 minutes, then unwrap and back on the smoker for 15 minutes. That is just my favorite way and some others may do a little different. Check the temps on the chicken after an hour and a half to see how quick they cook to 180 degrees in the thigh. I have had them cook in two hours before and sometimes it may take 4 hours. Just keep an eye on it and you will be the new BBQ King in Chicago!!! Good luck brother!!!
I agree with (almost) all that he said! Take your time and it'll be done when it's done.... One other thing, do both the fatties or you won't even get a taste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
elmatth, also I wouldn't run the initial temp up much past your target temp. Adjust when you are close and let it settle in for a few minutes. Temps are hard to get back down in a drum. Like real hard sometimes. You may get a temp spike anytime you open the barrel and close it back up. Just let it settle back down without making adjustments.
Hope this helps a little and all goes well!
I agree... Leave the vents as they are and it'll settle back down in just a short time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
elmatth:

If you don't have the tools to check internal temperatures consider this:

You can also judge doneness by how the food is holding together (depending on the food). For example, if you tug on a chicken drumstick and it falls off, it's done. On a pork butt, if the bone portrudes from the butt, it's done.
You don't have to have a fancy digital probe, a cheap analog instant read work fine and I still use one on a regular basis...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote