Coupe of pork butt questions

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Been a very long time since I have smoked a pork butt maybe you guys can help....

1. What is the basic hours to pounds ratio to judge cook time at 250 degrees?
2. What is a simple at home rub I can make? I don't have any commercial rubs.
3. What internal temp should I foil the butt?
4. Does the pork butt need to sit in a cooler after the cook? If so, how long?

1. 1 hour/lb (approx)
2. 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dry mustard
3. 160 if you want to foil (no rule that you need to)
4. It needs to rest at least an hour IMO, but not necessarily in a cooler. For longer rests, the cooler is necessary.

1. What is the basic hours to pounds ratio to judge cook time at 250 degrees?
I allow a little more time, around 90 minutes per pound. If you get done sooner, great, but, allowing for the stubborn butt is always a nice thing. You can hold a butt done early, but, a stubborn butt, that just makes you look bad.

2. What is a simple at home rub I can make? I don't have any commercial rubs.
I like to use fancier rubs, but, here is what I often default too, when all other things fail. All measurements by weight

3 parts Kosher Salt
2 parts medium grind black pepper
1/2 part chile powder
1/4 part each Turbinado sugar, granulated onion, granulated garlic

3. What internal temp should I foil the butt?
If I am going to wrap in foil, I wrap by color and not internal temperature. When it hits the right color, wrap in foil. If in paper, I have found the color darkens some, so I foil when it is a little lighter. No need to wrap actually.

4. Does the pork butt need to sit in a cooler after the cook? If so, how long?
I like to rest it in a cooler or the oven, for at least 2 hours. It can easily go four hours.

On edit: Do not forget, if you wrap it, vent the foil for 15 minutes or so, to stop the cooking and let some steam out. This will not cool things down hardly at all, but, if you cook until the bone wiggles, then do not vent, the carryover heat can lead to some mushy pork.

1-1.5 hrs lb
Kosher salt
cook it until the bone wiggles loose some where north of 200
Wrap & rest 2 hrs or more.

I've only done one and am no expert by any means. But I had the same questions you did when I set out to plan my cook.

I used Chris Lilly's Championship injection as well as the rub for mine. I made them with stuff I had around the house. I liked them both a lot. I like my bark a little sweeter so next time I'll add some more sugar to the rub than what the recipe calls for.

From what I researched I figured 1.5 hours per pound with 1-2 hours for resting and planned my cook around that. It turned out to be right on. However, if you're going to err, err on the side of being done early. It's much easier to increase the rest time and keep it warm with foil than it is to crank up the temps and try to get the pork butt done on your schedule at the risk of making the product chewy and not moist or tender.

I like the bark so I didn't foil at all. I was afraid to let the kids see it because they might think it was burned! But once it's pulled and mixed it doesn't even look that way. The bark was my favorite part so I probably won't foil my next one, either.

These other guys will give you a better idea and can correct me if I'm wrong above but I had the same questions you did. You'll have a blast with it!

I like a nice long rest. several hours for 2 reasons 1 know the meat will be dont by the time were ready to eat and it frees up the smoker for other things

Ive been cooking my butts around 275 and it seems to be just over a hour per pound just to give you a idea. Remember tho every piece of meats different. As far as a rub kosher salt and black pepper are about as simple as it gets and will produce some great Q. I normally try to rest for atleast 2 hours but theres been a time our two that I only had time to rest a hour or so and it turned out great.

Back