View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #3891
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Default still getting off flavor from drum

After the first cook in which I used a fair amount of mesquite which could have led to a bitter after taste....I tried again yesterday with another cook using only maple...I ate only a taste of the ribs....They had no unusual flavor while eating them but still had some off taste afterwards.

I thought I' start by washing the drum clean with soap and water then rinsing it out thouroughly....It had a real oily gummy substance on it....I heard someone say that Mesquite is a very heavy oily smoke and I wondered if that was leaving the residue and after taste??? Or if I used too much veg. oil when seasoning and that led to the oily substance?

Anyways when I scrubbed the inside down and wiped it dry..I noticed it really still had a metalic smell to it. I figured after a seasoing burn, and two cooks with wood smoke it would have lost that smell....So I don't know which way to go from here....Do I do another barrel burn with a real hot fire???Or just another seasoning attempt,(this time without the ash pan so the heat from the coal basket gets more directly to the bottom of the barrel.)..Or do I chit-can the farkin thing and find another source and drum?????
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote