View Single Post
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #35
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
Well, the faster you cook them the less smoke they pick up. Our 4 hour briskets we used to do on the weber didn't have very much smoke flavor. All I could ever taste was FAB.
Oh, gotcha. Regardless of the main body and finish pit temp (either low or higher temp) of the cook, I always start off in a low temp cooker for two or three hours. Partially for the benefit of the smoke ring, but also for flavor. I guess I figure since the ring stops at 135-140 the internal is not going to accept any more smoke flavor either.

This leaves the additional flavor that is developed on the surface from the 3 hour point to the finish.....yeah, I would have to agree with you in that when doing a hot main body and finish, less time in the pit would equal less smoke flavor deposited onto the surface. I do have chips mixed in with my charcoal from the get go, and only use big pieces at the beginning, so maybe that subtle flavor from them helps me out.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote