Thread: Garnish
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwaite View Post
Ok, these may be noob questions for this area, but I need some advice on garnish for my first Rib competition, coming up this Friday. I am not expecting to have a top-of-the-line box, but I do want to create something that I won't be embarrassed to share with the Brethren. After all, you have provided me with many examples of great turn-in boxes. How could I ignore that information?

My mission is to build a simple, basic garnish bed for my Ribs. My plan is to mainly use lettuce leafs, with maybe a bit of parsley to help out, if needed. My first question is there a specific type of lettuce that is easy (or easier) to work with and produces good results? My initial thoughts were something along the lines of Romaine leaves. I am not that well versed in different varieties of lettuce, so let me know if I am missing the mark here.

Second, how much time do you normally spend on preparing your turn-in boxes? I know that the "putting green" boxes will take a lot of time, but want to get an estimate as to how much time I should focus on this portion of the contest.

Again, many thanks for all your comments, suggestions and warnings. They have already saved me years of "hard-knock" learning experiences. I am sure I will have my share of those, too. But out of the gate, you have prepared me well to face the challenge. All I have to do now is perform.

Are you doing the Hall of Fame rib cook? If so good luck. The green leafy lettuce will do you well, as mentioned above. Get a fresh head, make sure you wash it, every piece, and follow the advice above.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote