Thread: Garnish
View Single Post
Unread 07-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
cgwaite
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ok, these may be noob questions for this area, but I need some advice on garnish for my first Rib competition, coming up this Friday. I am not expecting to have a top-of-the-line box, but I do want to create something that I won't be embarrassed to share with the Brethren. After all, you have provided me with many examples of great turn-in boxes. How could I ignore that information?

My mission is to build a simple, basic garnish bed for my Ribs. My plan is to mainly use lettuce leafs, with maybe a bit of parsley to help out, if needed. My first question is there a specific type of lettuce that is easy (or easier) to work with and produces good results? My initial thoughts were something along the lines of Romaine leaves. I am not that well versed in different varieties of lettuce, so let me know if I am missing the mark here.

Second, how much time do you normally spend on preparing your turn-in boxes? I know that the "putting green" boxes will take a lot of time, but want to get an estimate as to how much time I should focus on this portion of the contest.

Again, many thanks for all your comments, suggestions and warnings. They have already saved me years of "hard-knock" learning experiences. I am sure I will have my share of those, too. But out of the gate, you have prepared me well to face the challenge. All I have to do now is perform.
KCBS Member #52009
GLBBQA Member #10074
Certified MOINK Baller
cgwaite is offline   Reply With Quote