View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #3515
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhunter View Post
I am building a UDS and just cut off the top since I plan to use a Weber kettle lid. My question is regarding the exhaust vent on the Weber lid....is it big enough? Or do I need to add another exhaust vent to it? Do you guys who use the kettle lids modify them for more exhaust?

Also, the barrel had some iso-butyl-something-or-other alcohol in it and is unlined. Alcohol is VERY volatile and there is no longer any odor just from being open a couple hours. Should I still burn it out or just season it at a fairly high temp? I am hoping to avoid taking a wire brush to the inside and outside of the thing if possible.

I will take pics and post up when I complete the project.

Thanks!
I found that my drum doesn't like to run above 200 with the weber lid on, with standard exhaust. If I put the flat lid, with 2 in exhaust on, it takes off to higher temps. I was at the local Ace hardware store/ weber dealer and ask if they had an extra lid for sale. They had a scratch and dent model, with thermo in handle, wanted $18 for it. SOLD. Brought it home and added another vent from the WSM replacement parts inventory that I have. Now I have over 3.5 sq. in. of exhaust instead of 3.14 sq in. Haven't tried it yet. Will post pics of mod, wife has camera today at work.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote