Unread 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #26
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylrue View Post
Pellets are not long.

I have no experience really. So that smoke comment was good advice. No worry's about offending me at all.

I was able to maintain 210 and 225 pretty well yesterday. It was late but I think the thin blue smoke was more prevelant at 225.
I think you are getting a better burn at the 225* mark than lower... I seem to recall Billy (Fatboyz) talking about how the 'Smoke' setting on his was around 180* and it pumped out tons of white smoke... I could be wrong, but you could always touch base with him...

Quote:
I have two 3.5 chickens ready to roll for the morning. I am putting on at 7:40 and will be home around 5 to check on them. Can I cook those for that long on 225?
That's like a nine hour cook, and for me, unless they are the size of a 25 pound turkey, is a bit long... I would go for, depending on the size, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours max....

Quote:
How do you get these pellet smokers to not jump to 600 degrees for about an hour after you start them? I do not want to have to get up too early to get the grill to running temp. Maybe I have to take the grates off and steel some pellets out before it gets going too hot?
Again I have no direct experience, but I do recall some thing about having to cleaning the fire chamber prior to use... This may be your problem...

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I am leaning towards a big green egg but I really wish I could test one or talk to someone who primarily smokes for long hours with theirs.
Check in your area for a store that sells BGE's... The one near me almost every weekend have something cooking on one...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote