Unread 06-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #23
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Get a stick burner for that deep BBQ mahogney color and flavor! YMMV
I am so glad you said that and not me... LOL...

I won't pretend to know the Pellet Pooppers, I don't have one, never have in the past and to be honest, I don't see one in the future... I love my stick burner and 'The Mistress' isn't going anywhere...

As for your comments on the BGE not giving enough smoke flavor, I've actually over smoked meat on it when it first arrived.

If I may be so bold, I would like to make a few recommendations...

As mentioned earlier, what kind of smoke are you looking for out of the exhaust ports? (Again, I don't know your experience level so please don't hold it against me.) If you think that you have to have a thick, white, dense smoke coming out, your going to be in for a surprise. That is the smoke of incomplete combustion and creosote. A thin, transparent, blue smoke should be your goal. This smoke shows that the combustion is more complete and the heavy oils found in the wood (pellets) is being burned so that only the flavor is passing on to the food.

Try cooking at a higher temp. It's going to be real tough to get a pork but up to 205-210* when the cooker is staying at 200*... The 225-250 range is fine and is still considered 'Low and Slow' and should produce a good smoke flavor.

Remember that while the smoke ring stops forming when the meat gets to roughly 142*, the flavor is still being absorbed by the meat beyond that point, so keep it on there...

It sounds like you are doing a fair amount of fish. The species you are talking about can handle the higher temps that other fish cannot. Again, give the 225* area a chance.

I hope this helps, and remember "Stick Burners Rule!!!!" LOL
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote