View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #3368
Kubbie
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Concrete in bottom?

I read all the way through #3367, so I feel I've earned a few questions...

I got a free drum last week, got all the liner off and it just need to make a coal basket and a handle for the lid. Today found out I have a freebee stainless drum available in a couple weeks, so I'll use the steel one as a test build.

I understand the 'KISS' and this is a proven design, but I can't help but tinker:

$4 mod to see what it changes - I poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. Do you think I just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and just added 60 lbs of dead weight?) I was just trying to improve on the set-it and forget-it of the drum, and temp swings when opening the lid.

I only thought of this because I'm in the construction trade. Concrete/sand is often used to add thermal mass - "thermal enertia" for radiant floors, concrete filled cinder blocks for a greenhouse - or more closely related to this, a thermal mass wood stove, which is a 30 gal drum inside a 55 gal, with the space in between filled with mason's sand.

I'll let it cure until the weekend and give it a burn to see what happens. Whacha think?

Last edited by Kubbie; 06-15-2009 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote