View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I don't know if ANY offset firebox could be used as a stickburner, but I think it would be safe to say that MOST of them can. Seems to me that as long as you had enough space and ventilation in the firebox, you could use wood.

There are many things you can do to decrease the amount of white smoke:
  1. Start with a small bed of charcoal, then add a small amount of wood at a time. Keep your fires small and hot.
  2. Preheat your wood. A flat top on the firebox helps a lot. I usually have a small assembly line, with 2-3 chunks of wood on top of the firebox heating at all times. Be careful though, they will burst into flame if left setting long enough.
  3. Try to use smaller chunks of wood. I usually shoot for about the size of two fists or so. Makes splitting a little more of a pain, but makes it easier to control temps and smoke.
  4. Never close the exaust vents on your chamber to control heat, only your firebox vents. If your fire still is running too hot, use a rock or something to prop your firebox door open a bit to let some of the heat escape.
That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure others will chirp in.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote