View Single Post
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #3352
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis View Post
1. I keep reading that white smoke is not what we're looking for, it should be the TBS. When starting up (lump or briquettes), I always have quite a bit of white smoke--for about 60 minutes, then it starts settling down. Even after the temp is stabilized, there is till quite a bit of white smoke. Am I supposed to wait until all that smoke is gone before putting the meat on?

2. For those of you using the bung as exhaust--does the orientation of the bung hole in relationship to the open intake have any bearing on fire control. If I remember correctly from my Weber kettle many years ago, the leg went into the wind, and the open exhaust directly opposite.

3. Condensation--when I opened my drum this morning, I found a thin layer of moisture on the walls, underside of the lid. Based on the humidity the last few days, I assume it is condensation from heating/cooling in the sun. Should the drum be stored with the bung open so it can "breathe" and reduce this moisture?

Thanks.
Here is my two cents on #1 when I was using a offset a couple years ago, using KF and Mesquite lump.
Top pic is soon after I got the fire going, this is the nasty smoke guys speak of.
Next is about 30 minutes later, this is what I look for as time to get the meat on if the temps are right.
And third is a hour or two farther into the cook.

#2 I have only a pennys worth. I don't think it makes a difference.

#3 Not a pennys worth. I have not had that problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00901.jpg (67.3 KB, 1100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00899.jpg (96.1 KB, 1100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00898.jpg (90.7 KB, 1098 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote