View Single Post
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
If that is a Mega 3143, then unless you are a lot younger (read stronger) than me you aren't gonna grab it by two equal handles and "set" it in the back of a pickup. Chances are you will tilt it onto the tailgate and slide it in on it's side. If that is the case I would attach four handels;
1 at the "red" level just below the BDS logo and 1 more above the thermostat at the level of what appears to be your coal shaker handel. This keeps thermo away from truck bed when sliding it in.
1 each at the yellow levels where you intend to, for those occasions you actually have help in loading or unloading. This also prevents the cooker from rolling over and damaging the thermostat...
My two BDS's are the Deluxe 2343's. (They are not on the regular line-up anymore because the manufacturer now wants a 100 drum minimum order) I think they weigh in about 75 pounds. I wanted that maximum grate height, but I didn't go with the Mega because of their weight. I can take the lid off for a hand hold and tip the cooker so I can get a hand on the bottom and do the 53 year old man "tailgate press", setting it on upright. It's easier seting them back on the ground. I just think having handles will make it easier on the back, which is not what it used to be.

I would rather have one set of handles positioned for one person moving, because if I have a helper it's no problem at all. And with my side shelf, thermometer and a set of handles I want enough room left to use my hand truck once they are unloaded.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote