View Single Post
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

There has been a lot of good advice so far. I am in franchising and I have seen a lot of people make the jump to "business owner". Most do it because they love the job but being owner is much more than the "job". There is so much more than just the part they love that they get overwhelmed. You will suddenly be responsible for everything: hiring, firing, staffing efficiently, vendor relations, sales, marketing, accounting etc. Mista made a great point. Regardless of the business, you will find that you are really in sales and marketing. Be prepared. I would recommend reading The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber. It is a great read about the potential pitfalls of business ownership and how to avoid them. I have seen many new business owners start up having never owned a business before and go on to great success while others learn that the ownership aspect is just not for them. I have seen all personality types succeed. Do an honest character study of yourself and hire to your weaknesses. If you are not good with numbers, get an accountant etc. Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck and if you do make the jump, keep us posted on your progress.
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote