View Single Post
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #22
OliverRanch
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheath View Post
Dry aged carcases are hung in a cooler at high humidity. During this time natural enzymes and bacteria in the meat do their thing and tenderize the meat. As mentioned, there is some loss of moisture within the meat. Also, the outside of the carcass gets moldy, ugly, and nasty looking.

Dry aging is expensive because of the costs involved in storing the meat for a couple of weeks, then you have to pay someone to cut all the mold off (losing some of the meat in the process), then you have to pay someone to butcher it.

Wet aging costs a lot less because you just slaughter, butcher, cryovac, and ship, plus you don't lose any meat to mold.

I've had dry aged beef and can't understand how a person could prefer wet aged, but supposedly some people do.
It's interesting, I have been very surprised to see how many people prefer wet-aged steaks in blind tastings comparing one farm to another. It's striking how much flavor and texture can vary by breed, diet, growing region, plus the type and length of aging (and relative talent of the farm and butcher). That's what makes me so curious about whether some brisket recipes would be better with one "varietal" of steak or another, esp. one that's dry-aged.

I think it would be fun to try a comparison. Yet another reason to find that smoker on Craig's List.

[URL]http://discoverbeef.blogspot.com[/URL]
OliverRanch is offline   Reply With Quote