View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
OliverRanch
Got Wood.

Wow, this is great information and feedback, thanks!

Livins - I think you would have to trim a lot off of a brisket if you aged it as an individual piece. If it's aged as a whole or half carcass, I'd expect the amount wasted to be lower, but I'll ask a really talented butcher what he thinks. I had some Charolais beef Dry-Aged by the half and then made burgers out of the front of the cattle, including the brisket. Looking back, it's a shame I didn't have the brisket reserved for a little taste test.

Chad, 40-50 days, that beef must smell something awful when you take it out of the cryovak! But I bet it's really tender.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke that's a great question, what's the difference. The Pickled Pig is right that the key benefit of aging (dry or wet) is to offset rigormortis and to frankly make the meat more tender, period. He's also right that flavors can get concentrated with dry-aging - the meat is literally shrinking, I think of it as similar to reducing sauces.

I have learned in a few years of being a nerd and tasting different beefs side by side that in general, Dry-Aged beef tends to be more adventurous in flavor overall. You know how some wines or beers have more going on in them, you can taste layers of flavors and sometimes some really interesting "notes"?

All that said, I've had some Wet-Aged beef that is to die for bursting with different flavors, so it's not so simple.

That's what makes me curious about using Dry-Aged beef in slow cooking including BBQ. I'd expect it could go both ways, depending on how well the particular sauce or rub or woods used matched the flavors in the beef itself.

I'll stop here, love to learn more.

[URL]http://discoverbeef.blogspot.com[/URL]
OliverRanch is offline   Reply With Quote