View Single Post
Unread 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #2777
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberQue View Post
I came to a conclusion after a couple of smokes on the uds, that the gauge on the outside wall is useless. So, I made a mod to the thermometer.(tossed it out) Not sure if this was in this thread before, but thought I would share this with you guy's. I took a 5/16 threaded brass rod and drilled a .156 hole through the middle leaving about .002 to .003 clearence ( per side) for the 12 inch thermometer probe($3 at Meijers)to slide in and out as needed.This way I don't need a digital thermometer for the grate, only the meat. And since I haven't made a cart for it yet I added a couple of handles to bring it in and out easier. I made a couple for my buddies and had them pc a copper vien the picture isn't that good I will have to get a better one later. I also did my first butt today on the uds, it's resting right now so no pulled pics yet, but the burnt end was awesome!!
Attachment 25946

Attachment 25947

Attachment 25948

Attachment 25949

Attachment 25950
Attachment 25952
I found another way that doesn't involve any machining or drilling. Get a 1/2NPT to 1/4" tube compression fitting and one 1/4" ferrule. Take about 1" of 1/4" copper tube and slip the ferrule over it, slip it inside the fitting and tighten down the nut gently. This gives you a nice 1/2NPT to 1/4" hole, inside which many thermos with 1/4" stems will slide, all nonrusting. The NPT side can be secured into a hole with an electrical nut just like a close nipple ..

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->