View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #18
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I just use the latex gloves and it all goes real easy. You might also want to consider the cut of butt you are using. I only say that because it normally takes me just two or three minutes to pull one with my hands.

All that said, my wife used the bear claws when we catered a golf tournament last year and in doing so she shreaded up the fat with the meat and it stayed very moist and had a great appearance. Myself, I had always tried to remove the fat.... man was I wrong. There were no complaints regarding the fat which you really couldn't detect. I do render the butts down pretty good and finish them in a pan for four hours or more after an overnight smoke on the rack. The pan will usually be half full of juices. I will add back some of these juices to the meat once it is pulled and also add a little of my mojo as well.

This past weekend, I did my pull on the butts using the larger pieces and definitely allowing for more bark... not that the customer cares about bark if the food tastes good. My thoughts are that with the larger pieces I can retain more moisture.... what do I know???

I really don't think you can go wrong with pork butt regardless of how you pull it, whether it be shreaded or chunks.....as long as it is moist and tastes good.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote