View Single Post
Unread 03-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ'n The Burbs View Post
Am BBQn almost every weekend for other people "for free". Need to take it to the next level with a trailer smoker. Dont have the cash to buy one. Thinking of an old propane tank and a boat trailer. Any thoughts?
Depending on the size, I can tell you now that an old boat trailer isnt going to haul the weight. I am checking on the DOT laws in PA but some states do not require registration on BBQ trailers because they are in themselves not hauling anything. They are one piece. Sort of like a rental cement mixer. They do not haul anything and at most need lights.

I would suggest if you are going to build a smoker, build a sturdy trailer to go with it. Most trailer supply places carry replacement axles so you can build this for the actual weight of the trailer. I can direct you to some steel weight calculators online which will help you estimate your total weight if you cant get the project to a scale. Then over size the axle and build around it. If you dont feel comfortable coming up with your own trailer plans, google for them. I found a few configs I may go with or just make my own. I have another fab shop down the road that works on a ton of trailers who can give me advice. You should be able to find that sort of advice in your town. Good luck, post pics, and if you havent already, go to cattle call and intro yourself.