The recipe is.... (my tweaks are in parenthesis)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used 3 tbs)
- 1 cup chopped onions (2 onions any size)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper (I used 2 small ones)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork (I use two plain fatties, crumbled)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I use 2 lbs pulled pork)
- 1 (3 pound) whole cooked chicken, deboned and shredded (I only used half a smoked chicken)
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped (I used 2 cans of diced petite tomatoes and a quart of quartered homegrown roma grape tomatoes.)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup hickory flavored barbeque sauce
- salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1 tbs fresh ground black pepper and about 2 tsp kosher salt)
- hot sauce to taste (optional)
- 3 (14.75 ounce) cans cream style corn
Simple enough - sautee the celery, onions and bell pepper in OO, then add in meats, followed by canned tomatoes and cream corn. Add ketchup and bbq sauce, S&P - mix well, add water as needed, simmer for 2-3 hours. Adjust ketchup, BBQ sauce, S&P to taste.
Freezes well too.
We served this at my wedding reception and I've had people ask for it often since then.
Sticker500- I've got good friends in Millbrook - small world.