View Single Post
Unread 03-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
Cre-B-Ce
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
I am guilty of trying to do good Q by using temp probes and calculated cooking times according to "recommended" time and temp schedules.
There are a couple of older ladies on our local comp circuit that don't own a temp gage or meat thermometer...they know their pits and their meats. They consistently get calls...amazing.

The one thing that I am learning (slowly but surely with the help of "old schoolers" like yourself) is that cooking good Q is more art than science.

Thanks for the lesson "Professor Funk"...

I think the one thing most of us are guilty of is over-thinking the process. I think it's because a lot of us learned how to Q via the internet. We wanted instant results. In the internet world, everything is instant and right at your fingertips.

For example, someone ordered a car lift off of my website at 6:00 pm last night. The guy calls me at 8:00 sharp this morning wanting a tracking number. The order has to be placed, the freight company has to be called and that just takes time. Hell, I had just walked in the door and hadn't even seen the order yet.

We need to step back, start with the basics and learn the craft instead of trying to follow a process to the tee. I know since I started paying more attention to the meat instead of the meat thermomoter, my Q has greatly improved.

[FONT=Arial Black][I]Lewd, Qe'd & Tatted [/I][/FONT]

Large Big Green Egg
[FONT=Arial](2) UDS [/FONT]
Cre-B-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote