Unread 02-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #35
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Rule # 12 from my Ramblings Of A Briskateer is:

Never use sugar in your brisket rub .... I was taught not to use a sugar based rub, and that is one thing I have stuck with.

So, I know for sure I didn't have any sugar on it.....I can't say for sure what I used on that particular brisket but I can tell you this.....My choice of seasoning is very basic and I apply it 2 or 3 hours before cooking. I've never actually measured the amounts. (although recently, I've been getting some pointers as to the ratio from a guy in the know ) As a minimum seasoning I use fine grind canning or sea salt, coarse black pepper, and cayenne. (if this is mixed ahead of time and stored in a Mason jar something special happens, it's better than just sprinkling on the ingredients separately). Adding granulated garlic and sometimes granulated onion (my favorite being the toasted granulated onion from Penzey's) is the next option.

My next choice for seasoning is a Smokey Hale mixture of

1 cup coarse sea or kosher salt
cup granulated garlic
cup granulated onion
1/8 cup ground thyme
1/8 cup ground bay
1/8 cup black pepper
1/8 cup celery seed
1/8 cup Hungarian paprika
Thanks Wayne...what pit do you use and what temps do you smoke your briskets...if I may ask? I'm very interested in trying your above mentioned rub. I'm not a big fan of sweet when it comes to beef and your rub sounds right up my alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I don't wrap. I don't mop. bUT i DO REST. My Bark looks the same... Thanks to Thirdeye's tip my ring looks the same too. I have no digital cam and the resolution on my video is not good enough. In essense, thirdeyes bark I use because its a good sample and A GOOD PHOTO.
Got it...thanks Funk...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote