View Single Post
Unread 02-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstaff3 View Post
i saw a pic of bbq bubba basket and it was built with an 8 x 48 piece of expanded metal. i could only find 16 x 32. Should i split that in half to get my 8 inches and piece it together or will i be find with a 16" tall basket that isn't as big in diameter?
You can buy expanded metal in any size sheet you want, just not at Home Depot. Here in the Seattle area it is available at all the usual steel vendors like Everett Steel (which has no minimum) but if you want it sheared to size I'd use Grating Pacific, http://www.gratingpacific.com - great people. Try searching your local Yellow Pages for grating vendors or if that fails, for steel vendors. If you don't have access to a large shear, the stuff cuts like butter with a plasma cutter. You can also cut it with an angle grinder with a cutoff blade. Try to cut it so the remnants will be usable to you, perhaps for drum smokers large enough so you
can make 22-1/2" circles.

It's easy to roll expanded steel into a drum shape using an inexpensive 12" slip roll from Grizzly or Harbor Freight. It's best welded with a small MIG welder using gas shielding.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote