Unread 01-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #92
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Great Rescue Hondo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
May - You were my inspiration. I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of a Kamado Pot in distress. The fire box required repair, as did the ring above it. Lots of grime and rust to clean up, new gasket, replaced a couple of casters, and paint..... but the results were worth the effort. I've always used Weber kettles (I have four!) Now I just need to learn how to use the Pot for slow cooking and smoking!

A before and after.......

Thanks again - Phil
Phil,

Lovely, lovely.... Beautiful job. I'm glad this thread helped your Resto'. Looking at your "before & aft" photos brings back fond memories when Humpty and I really bonded .... Well, me and the Copper Cooker spent a lot of time together. Have you played and cooked with yours yet?

As others have cautioned, don't let the temperatures go too high (400F max?) as that can crack the old claypots that we have. In hindsight, I think I may have done that inadvertently (>550F temp spike Firings #3&4 ), which probably caused hairline cracks to grow AFTER my phase 1 repairs and killed the JB welds in the firebox, therefore prompting Phase 2 repairs (initial pics below). Your pot may be a bit more robust if there were no cracks to begin with, but WATCH THE HEAT!!!

All the best.
MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote