Agenda 1-23-09 BOD meeting
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
BOARD OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING
FRIDAY, JANUARY 23, 2009
SHERATON MUSIC CITY HOTEL, NASHVILLE, TN
Request to Address Board J. C. Gibson Amy Winn
(There could be additions added up to 24 hours prior to the Board meeting)
Finance Committee Wayne Lohman No Report
Contests Past Felda, FL
Requests—Sanction Committee Report Tana Shupe
The consideration of transition of the duties related to contest sanctioning and contest rep assignments to the staff. – Rod Gray
Nominating Committee: Linda Mullane
Anyone candidates not attending the banquet will call in so they can be present for the announcement of election results.
Election Committee: Linda Mullane
Over 2100 votes were received, with 9911 eligible voters. The winners will be announced at the banquet. The results are in a sealed envelope and will be opened for the announcement.
Linda Mullane, will make a proposal to track the bounced e-mails from elections online. as well as missing emails by sending a letter to each of these members requesting an update of their contact information.
Rules Rod Gray ;No Report
Technology Don Harwell
Don Harwell will be previewing the new computer scoring system at the Rep Committee meeting.
A motion is being presented to use team membership numbers to tract team of the year in all future years. Motion by Don Harwell.
Don Harwell will present a motion to end all complementary memberships in KCBS.
There will be a discussion as to the Web Site Content.
Education Paul Kirk No Report
Membership Steve Ownby No Report
New Ideas ;Merl Whitebook
TOY calendar project: Merl Whitebook will present information regarding a possible project to produce a KCBS wall calendar honoring those who achieve TOY.
Regional Board Seats: Update upon the research and discussion which is ongoing concerning possible regional board member seats.
Tabled business and surplus assets Discussion about disposition of surplus assets.
Discussion about the 2008 TOY, how to remedy obstacles and improve for next year.
Proposition 13 by Merl Whitebook I propose that due the economic times, that KCBS adopt a policy that each program, contract or venture of KCBS in the future, be budgeted and be economically sound and calculated to at least break even without economic loss to KCBS.
Contest Rep Committee Carol Whitebook
1) It has come our attention that some reps are g iving containers out prior to the cook’s meeting. At first look, this is great customer service; however, it may discourage team attendance, even further, at the cook’s meeting where teams could ensure they hear of last minute changes and specifics for the contest.
2) Cook teams have requested the board discuss the use of forks for anything beyond serving pieces during judging. Comments have been received regarding the fact individual forks discourage full evaluation of meat entries.
3) Per the December Board of Director meeting it was determined that a=2 0file compiling critique feedback would be kept, updated and sent to organizers. After the board meeting I sent a request to the KCBS office, and copied several board members asking if they wanted to use a file I had compiled and could update. I received no response or request. Report on status of how organizers are receiving feedback requested.
Research & Development Linda Mullane
Discussion to change the Organizer feedback form.
Discussion to add divisions to the TOY
Discussion to make the Organizers packet more user friendly
Marketing Troy Black
- overcame significant challenges with TOY database and launched before year end
- we need to discuss TOY unique identifiers and nonmember teams
- we also need to discuss how and when to launch the TOY points chase for 09
- we launched the “members-only” sign in feature before year end
Request for independent audit of MMA Contract Merl Whitebook (Tabled from December)
Discussion concerning Team of the Year
Discussion about reprints of the KCBS cookbook
Discussion about future publishing opportunities
Discussion about the Board Code of Ethics policy Rod Gray