View Single Post
Unread 01-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Bob S
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

[quote=jrb03;828078]Mind sharing some info on how you extended the charcoal pan? I have been wanting to do the same so I can pack it full for overnighters. I also have the heat deflector from the factory. Im curious how much higher the walls could be but still be able to lift the pan out easily mid cook to add more charcoal.

I used expanded metal to extend the height of the charcoal pan. The sides and rear are 6 inches high and the front is 5 inches. I cut the 4 pieces a couple of inches longer than I needed and then bent the last 2 inches of one end 90 degrees. This allowed me to overlap the corners for strength and slide the pieces along each other for an exact fit. Everything was wired together with stainless steel wire. No welding at all. The extension is very sturdy and doesn't fall out when I dump the pan. I also have the pan sitting on 2 pieces of square steel tubing so it is above the lip on the cooker and slides straight out. This makes it a lot easier to handle, especially when hot.

I got the idea for the charcoal pan extension from this thread and then improved the strength of the corners. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32546

Hope this helps.
Weber 22.5" Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver "Guinness" Kettle
Weber Genesis gasser
Blazin' Buttz BBQ Team
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Bob S is online now   Reply With Quote