View Single Post
Unread 12-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #2208
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronimo View Post
I think the overall height is about 44 inches. The bottom drum is about 12 to 13 inches. Gives me about 4 inches below the fire grate, 25 inches to the first rack, 7 inches to the second rack, and then 7 inches to the lid. I will probaly add about 2-3 inches for a rolling base with wheels, but at 6'1" that still leaves me with a good height to work easily.
Don't know if you have seen my version, so here's a pics of the original and after shortening it. And my UDG. The UDS has a 8" lid and the UDG a 6" lid.

I am 6'1" also and don't like to bend over much, getting old, bad knee problem.

The first version had 8" legs, I thought it would be less bending to clean up and to adjust the intakes. But it made it a bit tougher to pull the drum up and over the charcoal basket. So I changed the legs to 4" and it is much better. The intakes are still high enough that it is no problem and the racks are just right.

You have not shown your charcoal basket, but I presume it is around 10"-12" tall. I don't see why the drum could not be shorter and the basket could just stick a 4" or so up into the drum and still allow two racks with a flat lid. So a 6" short drum with the grate 3" above the bottom would allow the intakes to be 2" from the bottom which I think is what I did on mine. So 3" to the charcoal grate, 3" to the bottom of the main drum, 18" to the lower rack, 8" to the upper rack and 8" to the top of the drum a total of 40". The drum I have are all 34.5", so with a 6" short drum you get a overall height of 40.5". Or if you build a lid like I have you could get three racks in for those brethren who need that much cooking space.

If the seal works between the two drums all would be fine. The burnout looks good, now to see how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02486.jpg (62.4 KB, 1244 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02561.jpg (35.8 KB, 1243 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03173.jpg (55.7 KB, 1244 views)

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote