View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
The best bark I have had was on brisket in Lockhart, Texas. Kreuz's rub is mostly salt with cracked pepper and what looked like a small amount of paprika and garlic powder. Not any sugar in there at all as far as I could discern. Smitty's bark might have been a bit better and tasted very similiar.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I belive the secret is more in how they smoke meat than the rub itself.
Its cayenne. Rick could have added a powder after 1999 to set himself apart.

Yes don't wrap. Don't check on it. (which includes basting) And if your stuff is drying start cranking up your temps with each brisket there after (235-245-255-265-275-285+) til you reach the maxium smoking temp for your smoker without sacrificing tenderness.

THIS IS WHY I SUGGEST EVERYONE TRY A FOIL WRAPPED OVEN BRISKET AT 280 FIRST BECAUSE THATS THE TEXTURE YOU WANT TO EMULATE WITH THE HIGHER TEMPS

I do mine in pans with a little beer TOO, cider is fine whatever, as long as that flat is resting in it A BIT or on the point of another brisket if you're doing more than 10 and run out of space.

Kreuz, Smittys, Blacks, Muellers, elgin. taylor southside all do briskets in 6 to 8 hours... some... I heard 4 once from Louie Mueller but I think he was pulling my leg. But if it could be done... that guy could do it.

Thirdeye does a great bark and he setS the ring in with a lower temp at first then cranks it up.... not as high as I do, but higher than most. I have adopted his starting point for an hour or so with good results.

If you're leary about cooking high the whole way.... just cook it high til the plateau and then divide your high with 225 and meet in between.

Two vids if ya ain't seen em. No jokes about my dull ass knives... end of the season LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQCeX...B51071&index=3

six minutes in I show my Bark

and again here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG1oW...eature=channel

one hand dull knife cutting.