View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I'd like to hear from any current, prospective or former BOD members as to their thoughts on KCBS strategy to recruit and/or retain members as it relates to the KCBS mission statement and intended role .
Very interesting questions!

Quote:
1) Aside from KCBS' role in sanctioning the growing competition BBQ scene, do you think KCBS can/should be doing more to attract potential members not interesting in competing or judging relative to the goals and mission statement above ? Could KCBS membership expand quicker this way ?
It's the "can/should" part of that question that is the trickiest. Sure the mission statement is not competition-centric, but practically every other part fo the organization is. The Bullsheet for example, is of very little use to anyone who isn't involved with the competition circuit.

Quote:
2) Do you believe a KCBS membership provides enough value/benefits for a prospective or current member who does not compete or judge ? If so, which benefit do you believe is most attractive to a prospective member ? If not, how do you believe this can be improved ?
If you don't at least aspire to becoming a judge or competition cook one day, then no, KCBS doesn't really offer much value to you. There are plenty of other media outlets that provide recipes and guides for the casual cook, and do a better job of this than KCBS does. If KCBS were to start adding this sort of layman's content to the Bullsheet I suspect the competition cooks would find it uninteresting and consider most of it below their level; kind of like putting articles on how to change your oil into a hot rodder's magazine. I'm not sure if you can serve both the avid pro cook and occasional backyard burger griller with a single publication.

Quote:
3) Should KCBS allocate additional time/resources or consider a new committee to focus on expanding KCBS presence and interest outside of the competition arena so it does not become uni-dimensional ?
It seems like that is what MMA was hired to do - at least that is the intent of the BBQ Tour they launched this year. Dunno how effect they are being though. I haven't seen any metrics that measure MMA's performance to date.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote