Unread 09-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #14
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Recipe - Garlic Naan Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Nice spread. That bread, I'm intrigued by it. Is it a basic bread dough with the onions and cilantro? Or does something else need to be added to the dough to make it Naan?
Bacon, it's a real simple and flexible recipe. Add more or less stuff as you like. I didn't really measure, but you will know by feel. The dough will be softer and wetter than for regular bread. Enjoy!

Ingredients

(A). 1 package yeast (7 grams), 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 cup warm water
(B). 2 tsp salt, 1 cup warm water, milk, yoghurt or other fluid
(C). 3-4 cups flour (part wheat is ok)
(D). 1/2 cup chopped green onions, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 3 Tablespoons grated fresh garlic (or see Cooking Step 1 below)
(E). 1/2 cup olive oil, 2-3 Tablespoons sesame seeds or wild onion seeds (optional)

Naan Bread Dough
  1. Mix (A) and let things get bubbly.
  2. Add (B) and mix.
  3. Add (C). Mix in 3 cups of flour first (hand or mixer is fine). Add more flour until dough forms a ball and pulls away from the walls of the mixing bowl.
  4. Remove dough from bowl and knead 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed.
  5. Lightly oil the surface of the dough ball, place in bowl, cover for 2-3 hours or until dough is double in bulk.
  6. Punch the dough down. (*)
  7. Knead herbs (D) into the dough. Use more flour if things get sticky. (*)
Cooking the Naan
Naan cooks very fast ~1 minute per side. Watch so it doesn't burn.
  1. Pour 1/2 cup olive oil (E) into a bowl. Mix grated garlic with oil IF it was not kneaded into the dough.
  2. Prepare your grill or heat a heavy skillet on the stove using medium-high heat.
  3. Roll golf-ball sized dough flat to 1/8" thickness or less (thicker will be chewier). Sprinkle with flour to keep from sticking.
  4. Lightly brush olive oil onto the rolled out naan. If using seeds (E), sprinkle a few seeds on top of dough.
  5. Place oil-side down on hot grill or skillet. Quickly and lightly brush the top with oil before the naan puffs up.
  6. Flip the naan when the bottom is lightly browned (~1 minute).
  7. Stack cooked naan in foil as you continue cooking more.
Notes
(*) Dough can be covered and refrigerated for several days.
I found it easier to roll out the naan as I was cooking them. Rolling small golf balls of dough is much easier than rolling tennis balls. Pre-roll only as many naan as can fit at one time onto the grill or skillet, or as many as you can babysit at 1 time! I think a more traditional recipe only uses yoghurt as the leavening agent (no yeast) and doesn't bother with the herbs. The Naan is more authentic if baked in a tandoori oven!

Last edited by MayDay; 09-09-2008 at 02:25 AM..
MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote