King Crab on the BGE

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Unlike lobster, you buy king crab already cooked; it's processed right off the boats, for those of you that also watching Deadliest Catch... So it's just needing a reheat to be ready to go.

We've found that, while grilled lobster is great, boiled/steamed lobster is better, but that's because you have to cook the meat. With crab, I find the opposite; I prefer it grilled. This is because the grilling softens the shell so I get to the good stuff easier!

Last night, we had a couple of legs and a claw/leg, along with some fresh sweet corn and salad. Simple, delicious, wonderful, buttery goodness...

The crab grills over med/high heat for about 10 minutes a side, just to really heat the meat and soften the shell. The corn gets grilled in husk just to heat the corn... Overcooking fresh corn like this should be a crime punishable by caning.

2757232229_73c169452e.jpg

2758066322_271d0702bc.jpg

served with some grilled bread, drizzled first with olive oil, and a salad of green leaves and fresh tomatoes... And a bit of melted butter on the side.

2758066004_8477b4c630.jpg

DSC04647a.jpg

I don't have a problem with steaming smaller crabs, but you need a big steamer to handle the king crab......:mrgreen:

Yeah... but it's doable... I just like how the grill softens things so I don't hurt myself getting to the good stuff!

When a crab is fresh from the icy cold Alaskan waters to boiling/steaming pot - it is quite easy to 'snap' the legs to gain access to the meat.

I remember the last time I was going to crack king crab at my father's house I broke the railing on the front porch.

I had just a bit too much umph when I went to break them in half.........oopsie.

Nothing beats good friends, family, a few 6 packs of Alaskan Amber and a pile of fresh Alaskan seafood.

Gonna be a loooooong couple of weeks before I get on that plane to the homeland.

I hate all you people - I've been allergic to shellfish since I was 16. Whenever I'm with someone that orders lobster, I make them describe the taste to me over and over.

Just kidding about hating you all.

I like to cut them lengthwise and then grill them. Easy to get out at the end.

oh, ah, ye, hey! i thought you said you were laid off?

dlm should be getting in their 'fresh, never frozon' red king crab soon!

Excellent idea, if I don't get OT today at work, I'll pick some crab up and maybe a Steak of some sort for dinner.

Thanks!

Love grilled King Crab. I live here in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle near the port where many of the boats in the TV show "Deadliest Catch" tie up in the off season. One of the fisherman who lives nearby showed me a method of cutting out a small strip section on one side of the shell before placing it on the grill. He basted the exposed meat with garlic butter as the leg heated up...and we did this in a close wood charcoal 'Q' so it also got some flavor from the apple wood...OH MY GOODNESS!

Honestly, I wouldn't want to put garlic butter on lobster... I want lobster to be lobster... garlic just would be wasting my money (my opinion only!)... I just love the sweet taste of the expensive flesh of the ocean roaches! :)

That's cool, to each their own. But you're gonna have to take my word for it then. Trust me, I'm in lobster territory. In fact, I just got back from a weekend in Maine, where it was a whopping $4.99 a pound! :biggrin: I guess when you have it often enough, boiled or steamed just gets a little boring. :wink:

Back