View Single Post
Unread 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
BFoster
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp1fox View Post
Honest Question here. Not one of those smart-alec anti pellet questions.

If you don't get much smoke flavor what's the advantage. Again sincere question, because I've consider a traeger a couple of times.

The advantage to me was that a store here had it for about $200 less than MSRP...and I bought it. IMHO without the addition of the mod that let's you cook at a real 'low and slow' temp, it's worthless as a smoker. If you set it on 'Smoke' setting, which I did the first night cooking some butt's.....you have a great chance of your fire going out. I thought I messed something up and tried again the day after...woke up at 3am to check the temp...and the pellets had gone out...cold.

What happens is, an auger runs pellets at the 3 different settings...Smoke, Medium and High. At 'Smoke' it runs for a minute and it's off for 3 minutes ( just recalling) in those three minutes, the pellet(s) that was on fire can go out. You'll wake up the next morning with 10 pounds of dry unfired pellets in the bottom of the pit. It happened to me twice in a weekend.

I know it's assholish, but I refuse to buy the $170 mod that makes it actually be a smoker.

-Brian
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Smokey Joe 10898 Simpsons Anniversary
Spoooon!

Any time, come on down!
BFoster is offline   Reply With Quote