View Single Post
Unread 07-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
bonehead
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I can't say what I do is original. It's been cobbled together from posts on this site, my own experience, and various other resources. That said, here's what I do:

1) prepare the breading: mix equal parts of Frying Magic & Corn Muffin Mix. If you're feeling spicy, add some favorite extra flavors. Dredge wings through to coat and place on a pan.

2) Heat the grill/smoker to low or low/medium low. While it's heating, fix the sauce. I use regular Franks's Hot Sauce & butter. I like flavor, but not a ton of heat so I start with 1 stick of butter to 1/3 cup of Franks. Sometimes I puree some fresh garlic in. Sometimes I put a dash or two of liquid smoke in (Sshh, don't tell anyone here. I might get banned). Adjust proportions to taste.

3) Put the wings on over low/medium low direct heat. Let them cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the coating starts to set up. Then baste with the sauce and then turn and baste again. After that turn and baste every 10 to 15 minutes until done. Serve with extra sauce on the side.

If you do this over direct heat you need to keep a close eye on them because the butter will cause flare ups. They should be done in about 30 to 45 minutes. If you do them indirect at 225 probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours. YMMV.

So far every time I have cooked these I have NEVER had any leftovers. I think it's the sauce. Here are some pics. The first is one tray after they've been prepped. The second is after they're done. I forgot to take a shot after I pulled them off so there was only a little left and they went away quick after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Memorial Day BBQ 010.jpg (74.0 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg Memorial Day BBQ 017.jpg (59.2 KB, 545 views)

Chargriller Smokin' Pro
Brinkman Dual Chamber Deluxe Charcoal
Perfect Flame Gas
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote