Unread 07-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #46
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Imperial Gasket Cement NOT for Joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I just bought another quart of furnace cement, and think I'll be very liberal with it on the BGE firebox. One thing that I did on the firebox of the Medium IK was to set it in my stove and gradually raise the temp for a couple hours to cure the furnace cement. It was in at 500* for at least an hour with no damage(my wife wasn't thrilled) I don't think the firebox from the Egg will fit. I was looking at the temp rating for the Rutland gasket sealant and was thinking it might work on the joints. Does it dry hard or flexible with the rope gasket?

An old carpenter told me to drill a small hole at the end of the cracks to keep them from spreading. Worth a try?
For the Ceramic Repairs I found 2 products to use. A 3000F rating Stove and Gasket Cement which I used to repair broken seams in the cracked firebox. Also a 2100F rating High Temperature Stove & Furnace Cement that I will use for surface bonding and as an extra sealant on top of the JB and S&GC.

Fiberglass Gasket Cement I used Imperial KK0149 Cement Gasket to attach the fiberglass braid onto the Kamado. This was a clear viscous glue. Water-clean-up. Dried up brittle and porous, but the gasket is holding fine. I would not use it on the joints.

The Imperial Cement Gasket is probably is NOT the same stuff as the Rutland product, which looks black on the Naked Whiz's Gasket Installation Instructions.