View Single Post
Unread 07-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelonutz View Post
If I remember my Serv-Safe class, we are allowed 4 hours between 40 and 140 deg. I take it you are saying that if I were to get it above 140 within 4 hours then freeze it, I would not need nitrates? Can I do bacon and pastrami the same way?

NUTZ
It is a lot more complicated than that. 140 is a hold temperature, not safe at temperature. You have to take most things above 165 and then hold at 140. You also need to get there as fast as possible. Actually 140 is good as well, but needs to then stay there for a certain amount of time I believe rather than the 15 seconds at 165.

Cooling from 140 to 40 has time ranges. 2 hours to get down to 70, 4 hours for the rest of the way.

That 70 to 140 range is where this all gets critical. That is when the cooties create spore pods, (i think that is what they are called), that are impervious to moisture, that now won't get destroyed unless taken to boiling temperature for 15 minutes. A process that will ruin any about any meal.

Back on topic. When we first started up, the health inspector wanted to see a HACCP plan before allowing us to use the smoker. I explained that the smoker we had does not cold smoke and we take most everything that will go in there to 190. He said we were good.

Since the lowest temperature setting on Fast Eddy is 140 we can't even do this type of smoking. I am sure the HACCP plan would have included nitrite/nitrate ratios to pounds, time cured before smoking, times in the smoker etc.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote