View Single Post
Unread 06-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #29
MayDay
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question How Long to CURE Furnace Mortar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
PLEASE DO NOT fire a clay Kamado like a Big Green Egg!

I can't stress enough for anyone with a claypot to download the manual for the pre 1976 BGE from the Naked Whiz!! You risk overheating and damaging all the fine work you've put into this. Start out with the suggested amount of briqs/lump and add as you cook.

I just got a Medium Sakura Hibachi Pot Kamado from my BIL's brother that will be my next restoration project and when he told me that he filled up the firebox EVERY time he cooked it was no wonder the thing is in pieces.

I would suggest using furnace cement over the JB-Weld joints. I only say this because I was using the claypot base mod in my WSM and it cracked-I pieced it back with JB-Weld and after a few cooks it cracked at the reapair. It was not in direct contact just the heat sink in place of the waterpan. A little insurance as I see it.
Brian, FUEL OVERLOAD warnings duly noted. Thought I had overly skimped on lump for the initial bakeout and first cook. As suggested, will be referring to the original Kamado manual for fuel loads. Thanks for the extra emphasis.

Funny thing about the furnace cement.... I had actually returned the unopened product for a refund yesterday. Ok, it's back to the store to buy the stuff again.

Last week, I just got lazy and didn't want to go the extra step of furnace mortar. Sounds like I had better do it ASAP. However, will only be able to mortar the JB-welds on the inside, seeing how the outside is already painted. OK?

The Kamado was to star this weekend in 2 cookouts (Sat & Sun) with company coming over....
  1. If I apply the cement tonight, will I have enough time to let it dry and cure in time to use for tomorrow's dinner? !!!
  2. What does curing involve? A low-temp bakeout?
  3. How can I minimize cracking or flaking?
Thanks!

May
Project Humpty: SLIDESHOW, PHOTO ALBUM

Last edited by MayDay; 06-27-2008 at 04:01 PM..
MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote