Hmmm... not sure why the previous pictures are not showing up.... Will use both methods for uploading pictues.
Late Sunday night, the Copper Cooker had it's first firing. Maximum temperature was 500F, which was choked down to bake out overnight.
I'm happy to report that the Copper Cooker survived the bakeout; it was still "whole" in the morning.
Of course, a test cook was next. First on was roast pork, marinated with garlic, rosemary, paprika, chile, soy sauce, salt, pepper and rye whiskey (Canadian Rye, of course).
Low and slow, 4.5 hours total (350F for 1/2 h to sear, 250F 1 h, 200F 1 h, 175F 1 h). Turns out I didn't put enough coal in. The meat just squeaked up to 153F before I ran out of fuel.
Turned out very moist. But it's not "pulled pork."
Added more coals (but still not enough). Only managed to squeeze 225-180F out of the coals with the damper and smoker top wide open. Chicken thighs took 50 minutes, but at least they are
Here's last night's dinner.
Lesson: Need to add WAY MORE COAL!!!
Not nice to run out of fuel half way through or not get hot enough. Both the pork and chicken could have used a higher cooking temperature.
Project Humpty: SLIDESHOW
, PHOTO ALBUM