thanks guys for all the responses. Here is a the recipe I wound up using and it made a fantastic sweet gingery salmon that didnt taste super fishy. I used fresh ginger and fresh garlic and squeezed oranges for the orange juice. I will be using some of your suggestions in the future!
35 min | 20 min prep | SERVES 4
1 teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce 1/3 cup orange juice 1/4 cup honey 1 green onion, chopped 1 1/2 lbs salmon fillets
- In a large self-closing plastic bag, combine first six ingredients; mix well.
- Place salmon in bag and seal tightly.
- Turn bag gently to distribute marinade.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes for stronger flavor.
- Turn bag occasionally.
- Lightly grease grill rack.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Remove salmon from marinade; reserve the marinade.
- Grill 12-15 minutes per inch of thickness or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Brush with reserved marinade up until the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Discard leftover marinade.