I'm curious as to why you think pasteurized honey would make a difference? I don't even know why you would pasteurize honey. Honey has an indeterminable shelf life if kept with even minimal care. The only danger to anyone in general are the endospores, and those are dangerous only to infants whose immune system/digestive tract has not fully developed.
The mold was encouraged by the sugar content perhaps; maple syrup would have been much the same, no? The mold most likely came from somewhere else. You weren't dipping your fingers in the honey before hand were you Ray?