View Single Post
Unread 04-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #971
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I anticipate using a charcoal grate from a Weber 22.5" charcoal grill which measures 16-1/2 inches in diameter as the backbone to a charcoal basket with the grill part hog ringed to expanded metal "ring" . A convenient height for the expanded metal ring would be 12 inches high and if the expected volume of ash from burning charcoal briquets would easily fit under 2 inches I would suspend the grate at 2 inches. That would also facilitate me using a 17 in diameter by 1.5 inch ash pan below it all. I figure that if I use 4 or more bolts from below the ash catching pan then jam nut and washer the charcoal holding grate at 2 inches above the ash holding pan for added support to the expanded metal ring, that I would have a over all height of 2 1/4 inches as the starting point to measure up for the first cooking grate. So that the cooking grate would sith at 26 1/4 inches from the bottom of the drum. With the general concusses being that the inlet holes are made at 1.5 to 2 inches from the bottom of the drum my proposed ash pan would below the air inlets and give good airflow directly to the bottom of charcoal basket. But I would like to skip the research and development part of trying it first to see if it would catch most if not all the ash from a large load / long smoke
so will 340 cubic inches hold the ash ? That’s if I did the math right V = 1.5 x 3.14159 x (8.5 x 8.5)
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote