View Single Post
Unread 03-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #85
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmna View Post
How do the result's of Chris' experiment show that the smoke ring stops at 140/145*? I don't see any correlation in his experiment to this theory.

And, BTW I am trying to test the ring, not the flavor. Although, I will have to try a taste test to see if there is any significant smoke flavor difference. I will be smoking with lump to which I add one large hickory chunk with every fuel addition.
I'm sorry I miss-read Chris's original statement as to the 140-145* internal in relation to the formation of the smoke ring... I'm sure that a search in this site may offer you more than a little bit of information on this question.

Quote:
This expierement has inspired me. I have to do two buts for a church function this weekend. I think I am going to inject, slather and rub them both the same and then try and test the 140 degree hypothesis.

You know, the theory that once the meat reaches 140 degrees you don't get any more smoke penetration? I will start one in the oven and the other on the smoker and then when the oven butt reached 140, transfer it to the smoker.

This should be sufficient validation don't you think? Given both buts will be blended together for serving I should not have that much issue taste wise.

I also recall that there is one theory that you get no more smoke penetration after the first 3 hours. I may try this the next time I cook and start a butt in the oven and then add it to the smoker after 3 or 4 hours of cooking.
The confusion I am having is that in the above quote, you were talking about 'Smoke Penetration' and not smoke ring formation. In MHO, 'Smoke Penetration' cannot be alway's determined by the smoke ring (proven by the fact that Chris was able to create a smoke ring in an oven using a chemical reaction).

Quote:
How do the result's of Chris' experiment show that the smoke ring stops at 140/145*? I don't see any correlation in his experiment to this theory.

And, BTW I am trying to test the ring, not the flavor. Although, I will have to try a taste test to see if there is any significant smoke flavor difference. I will be smoking with lump to which I add one large hickory chunk with every fuel addition.
Again, in your original quote, you stated 'Smoke Penetration' and not 'Smoke Ring' formation.

To me, 'Smoke Penetration' is a flavoring (similar to a spice that I include in a rub or injection). While I can produce a smoke ring to say 1/4 or 3/8's of an inch depth, it is MHO that the smoke flavor continues penetrating the meat to a much deeper depth. While I agree that the smoke ring has a stronger smoke flavor, I feel that the flavor of the smoke continues into the meat long after after the smoke ring has stopped forming.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote