Unread 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #8
DaChief
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
From a previous post:

My standard brine is 1 cup (Diamond, a little less if Morton's) kosher salt and 1 cup brown sugar to each gallon of water. I had issues with chicken being too salty so I cut back on the salt. That didn't work out so well though and after receiving some friendly advice, I bumped it back up. My problem was that the brine wasn't cold enough to start out with. I had just mixed it up with cold tap water, threw in the chicken and put the whole thing in the fridge. Make sure it's cold, cold, cold (with ice) and be sure to rinse when you're done and you should be OK.
I agree on the cold! I use my cooler and dump a 10 bag of ice in. Other than that I have seen many things added in and haven't found anything bad yet. Oranges/apples/vegetable stock/molasses/beer. I have found ~ 24 hours is a good target. Some folks have gone twice as long by putting a frozen turkey in. BTW, make sure you use a fresh turkey and not one that has already been brined (Butterball). I injected one last Thanksgiving and brined one and still prefer the brined. You can get a way with cooking it a little long and it still stays moist.
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote