Thread: Under the radar
View Single Post
Unread 11-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Under the radar

let me first say that, my customers safety is always first in my mind, I have been making my sauces in an approved kitchen and I always follow proper food handling practices. I have however slacked on some of the paperwork and proper permits.....this is what got me in trouble.

A few days ago, i posted an ad on our local craigslist, the health dept. saw this ad and checked their records and sure enough, I don't have a permit to sell a damn thing.... a certified letter was delivered and now I have a few things to talk about with them.

let me clarify again.....this is not a safety issue! permits being what they are and the expense of this to begin with is why I did things under the radar....to anyone looking to start their own business, do it right or don't do it at all.

I have shut down my website until I can get with the program, I have removed all the links i can and have asked Phil to remove my spot in the brethren ventures forum until things are right.

Moral of this story....don't do anything halfassed!

I have meetings this week with health dept. officials and all are more than willing to help get this venture back on its feet, they see it as a viable business and just want things done by the book.....I can't say that they are not right.....I was trying to save a buck because of the small volume of business that I do and thought that I would not get caught and that the paperwork was time consuming and expensive....well....it is but, there is a reason for it. If I skimp on the permits, they see that as a doorway to skimp on customer safety.......I can see their point of view.

Do not make the same mistakes I made, do it by the book and then there will be no problems.

I am now looking into a serious re-tooling and possible bottling companies, this ain't gonna be cheap but, I don't want to be thought of as cheap.....now....let the fireworks begin!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller pro offset X 2
Brinkman Gourmet Smoker
7-N-1 r2d2 looking cooker(on loan never to be returned)
Slightly bent Weber kettle
Scratch and dent wally world Uniflame kettle
new link to new musical adventure coming soon!!!!
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote